FW: Re[2]:Internet Access and Phone Bills

From: Denton, Karl R. KD1588 (KDenton@williams-int.com)
Date: Sat Dec 12 1998 - 00:42:00 EET

Hello All...

Since my first email to the rp-ml I have received (in addition to the
ones that were sent to the group) several emails that conflict each
 other. I received several that were reportedly responses from
congressmen and others that claim they do not know about any thing coming
up for a vote yet the CNN website (as well as others) has a host of
articles on this topic. I heard about this a couple of years ago when
the Internet started it's rise in popularity. As an ex-phone company
employee I would NOT doubt that this is a reality in some form or
another! They are at best frustrated with the fact that they missed the
boat on the Internet and I believe that if they think they could get away
with it THEY WILL TRY!

Let's consider the following...

They can add at will charges to your bill and if you do not bother to
call and question these charges THEY win!

You pay a monthly charge to the phone company for long distance service
EVEN if you never make a single long distance phone call!

On my bill there is a fee for a couple of bucks a month that reads
"Mandatory Federal Fee" (or something like that) when I question that
charge I get the run-a-round not a clear answer.

You pay a 911 monthly fee.

You pay a fee to NOT have your name listed in the phone book.

and on, and on, and on.....Then on top of that you pay taxes on the
total!

I much prefer to believe that the phone company (who has a powerful
lobby) would NOT think twice to squeeze a couple more bucks out of us!
 Why should I have to pay MORE money on an Internet phone call that is
via my LOCAL exchange just because it's Internet! What's the difference
between that and when my wife calls her sister and talks for two hours!

A letter to your representative will certainly let him or her know how
you feel about the topic and wont hurt!

Karl