RE: Re[2]: Future of RP Re:Further Comments

From: Prof P. M. Dickens (pdickens@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 18:32:02 EET

Larry has some very good points here. I think we need to take a step back
and try and think where we are going with this.

Large Numbers
It is very unlikely that we will use these additive techniques for making
parts in large numbers (e.g. hundreds of thousands or more) as we have many
conventional processes that have been developed for this.

Mass Customisation
I believe that we will see quite soon the existing additive techniques
being used to manufacture real parts. This is most likely going to be for
applications where the parts are purely functional and not for aesthetic
applications. Aesthetic parts will come later.

Medium Volume
This is the really interesting area because there is more of a challenge
here be cause the economics become more critical. I see no reason why we
will not be using the existing techniques to manufacture functional parts
in volumes up to tens of thousands within the next few years.

Design Implications
I agree with Larry that we should not be trying to do what other processes
are already doing successfully. There may well be economic advantages of
using the additive processes to replace injection moulding for low to
medium volumes. The main benefit though will be in the effect on the design
process. As Marshall Burns said we are now in a 'Fabber revolution'. This
is important because we now have a set of manufacturing processes that are
not limited in terms of the geometry that can be produced. This will have
an enormous effect on the design processes of the future. We have
undertaken a vast amount of research into techniques such as Design for
Assembly, Design for Manufacture etc. These were largely necessary because
of geometry limitations. We are getting close to the point where as
manufacturing engineers we can say to designers 'stop worrying about how we
will make it just design it as you want it'!

Material Implications
It is clear from the work presented at the Texas Symposium that we will
have a new wide range of materials - plastics, ceramics, metals. These will
include:
New materials (especially composites)
Controlled porosity (shape and amount - filters)
Graded materials

Manufacturing Implications
For the first time we will have true flexible manufacturing systems where
we can change product geometry randomly without affecting efficiency. There
will be less tooling and hence shorter lead times and lower investment in
tools. There is the possibility of producing everything Just in Time, which
will lead to less work in progress and less storage requirements. This will
lead to easier production planning. The reduction in tooling will lead to
random product scheduling and easy changes to production schedules.

Sales Implications
It will be possible to make custom products cheaper with shorter lead times
from order to delivery and the customer can be more involved in the design.

I would be very interested in other peoples thoughts on this.

Prof. Phill Dickens
De Montfort University
Leicester
England