RE: Re[2]: a summary of Future of RP Comments

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 02:47:12 EET

Larry,

I agree that it is much more exciting to think of what someone might
design to fill a need in real space, solving real human problems, beyond
entertainment of a few minutes or hours of your time. I'm thinking of products
that might be made by RP/M to solve problems related to potable drinking
water (3rd? leading cause of death in the world), infectious diseases,
low-pollution/pollution-free energy, loss of ethnic and biological diversity,
and so forth.

The game designer, on the other hand, can invent stuff in a game that is
impossible to build in real space, such as objects that a real person
cannot possibly lift or hold in a human hand, let alone wield them as weapons.
An intelligent knowledge-based 3-D CAD system might actually alert you to
the fact that you are trying to design something that is basically a bad
engineering design.

On the third hand, an artist needs just the opposite: unlimited degrees
of freedom of expression. Having the skill to manipulate a certain tool is
great, but if the artist has nothing to say, it won't be great art, just a
temporary novelty.

I was reminded of this while watching something on Jackson Pollock, who
was apparently totally unskilled as a painter of natural forms, but had a
lot to say through his abstracts. It's one thing to copy his style, but
another to communicate emotions and inspire others. Would CAD and RP allowed
him to be more expressive or would he simply have produced a lot of junk?
Will CAD and RP allow some potential artist out there, unable to master
the current art tools, be able to finally express him or herself or just
make it easier for wannabe articles to churn out a bunch of junk? RP as a
tool for art will certainly raise the volume of junk, but the hope is that it
will also raise the volume of great art.

Brock Hinzmann

lblasch wrote:

> Brock,
>
> You said:
>
> >Further to John's point about the usability of CAD software,
consider
>this
> >comment I heard the other day: Why is computer game software so
much
> >better designed than office software? Because computer game
software is
> >designed by people who like to play computer games.
>
> >If CAD software is difficult to use, perhaps you need different
people
> >designing it.
>
> The only flaw I see in this chain of logic is that the Computer
Gamer