RE: Bubbles in Parts

From: Hurley, Lynda J (lynda.j.hurley@lmco.com)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 16:02:34 EET

Scott: I have an SLa500/20, 500/30 and an SLA500/40 with a Zephyr blade.
Although, I have to tell you that at the moment I have been using the deep
dip on the SLA500/40 because we have been having re-coating problems with
the Zephyr. I also have an SLA 250. We use SL5180 on the 500's and SL5170
on the 250. We have had the bubble problems on all machines. The problem
is not severe, but is has happened on all of the machines. It seems that
the sweeper blade just pushes the bubbles back and forth and does not break
them up. 3D has suggested, in their classes, that you take a credit card
and break up the bubbles. This of course is not feasible when your machines
are running 24 hrs/day. We're certainly not going to stand at the machines
and watch for bubbles, stop the machines, and break the bubbles up.

This has not been too much of a problem in the past, but now our optics
people want to build optical lenses and the parts must be clear of bubbles.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Lynda Hurley
Engineer/CIM
Lockheed Martin