Re[2]: Future of RP Re:Further Comments: Shoes

From: Justin R. Kidder (jrkst34+@pitt.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 22:23:09 EET

Interestingly, we are beginning a project with a local orthotics company
doing exactly that. Besides pure shape, you also need pressure
distribution information and lower body dynamics and kinematics
information throughout the gait cycle. All of the information is easily
obtainable using technology that exists today--the hard part is, how do
you integrate it and come up with a near-optimal design for that
individual. Right now, orthotists who do custom orthotics are real good
at doing this the old fashioned way--in their heads, based on their expert
knowledge. Having a computer do it, though, is a different ball of wax.

Eventually, I think that this is the way that shoe stores of the future
will be--then hold up your foot for the camera (or laser scanner), walk on
this mat while we videotape you, and select your style from the shelf--and
come back tomorrow to pick up your custom shoes! Of course, if your feet
are in the database already, then your task is somewhat easier...

Justin
Justin Kidder, Research Asst. | Automation and Robotics Laboratory
jrkst34+@pitt.edu | University of Pittsburgh

               Home page: http://www.pitt.edu/~jrkst34