Re: about the measurement of mold built by SLS RapidSteel

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 20 1998 - 13:50:12 EET

In a message dated 98-12-18 09:33:27 EST, mcs9413@lge.co.kr writes:

<< Dear all:

  There seems to be somebody who knows what the best method
  to measure 3D dimension of mold built by RapidSteel is....
  I think the dimensional accuracy of mold built by RapidSteel
  is relatively inaccurate to be used as an injection mold.
  So it is very difficult to define the origin and axis on it.
  That is why I've checked the accuracy of the whole mold surface
  using 3D laser digitizer(scanner) and then compare measured data
  with designed data.

    Is there anyone who has other opinion ?
Chang-Shik,Min >>

Chang-Shik,Min:
       My company uses 3D Keltool which is very similar to SLS RapidSteel. We
normally put some kind of rectangular posts or set up references onto all of
our mold cavities to verify part accuracy and ease machining after sintering.
These are then removed for final finishing. This technique would be prudent
for you to use with RapidSteel as well. We find the accuracy of 3D Keltool is
well within the accuracy requirements of most moulded products. The majority
of the moulds we produce in 3D Keltool are production moulds.
Bob Morton
Fusion Engineeering
Fusioneng@aol.com