Reverse FEA : for Singaporeans in rememberance of the Silk Air Crash in Palembang Indonesia....

From: Innomation Systems & Technologies Pte. Ltd., (istpl@singnet.com.sg)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 16:03:01 EET

hi list,

just an idea that i get when i saw the program commemorating the first
anniversary for the Silk Air Crash in Indonesia.

the damages to the plane was really terrifying...the inspector held up a
piece of PCB and revealed the crack....and this where the idea came from.

most of the time, people had been doing FEA with a known set of
problems(loads and constraints) and finding how will the problems cause
deformation on the object of interest.

if we to think on the reversal mode, given a piece of that PCB with the
crack pattern(reverse engineered back the crack surfaces for meshing) and
knowing the location of the PCB in the plane(the constraints) can we find
where were the loads applied(the startpoint of the explosion or impact)?

if we can maybe we can find a faster explanation ...and truthfully verified
by modern engineering for the poor victims of the unfortunate incident.

you see if the PCB cracks due to an explosion on a particular spot leaving
that crack mark....maybe we can reverse back from the crack mark to
determine where is the spot of explosion and how strong the explosion is.

well, i maybe naive on this issue....but gladly someone whom is the FEA
guru can give such a thought about it.

Sincerely,
joseph sim

Innomation Systems & Technologies Pte. Ltd.,
12, New Industrial Road, Thoren Technocentre
#06-03 Singapore - 536202
Republic of Singapore
Tel : 065-3828685
Fax : 065-3828658