RE: cad program that breeds design

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 20:38:53 EET

----------
From: Andrzejewski, Jan[SMTP:jan.rp@pera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 1998 6:21 AM
To: 'rp-ml'
Subject: cad program that breeds design

michael rees SCULPTOR wrote:

>This is what I want from CAD. I can breed multiple objects and object
>parameters--electrical, chemical, mechanical, functional, cultural,
>aesthetic and I can tell the program to give me 500 generations of the
>breeding of these objects. I can review all of these permutations until
>I decide which fits my purposes best. I can control the parameters of
>the objects to focus on different aspects--more or less aesthetic, more
>or less functional... I would also have the ability 1. to design from
>the ground up, 2. seamlessly import 3d data with severe convolutions and
>undercuts, 3. be able to design a full range of features that are
>electrical, chemical, etc.,. Sounds wacky huh? A cad program that breeds
>design.

michael and others interested in Sculptural Art

You may what to view the works of William Latham and in 1984 he put pen to
paper and created an evolutionary tree of forms that elegantly shows the
ideas of sculptural transformations.

Dear jan,

I'm more interested in the work of Karl Sims. You may know this stuff from a recent article in Wired Magazine. Survival of the aesthetically fittest (No there's a Tom Peter's future business concept if ever I heard it). You can also view some of his very exciting work at www.biota.com

Anyone else know of, or heard of anything like this?

best,

Michael Rees