Re: Reverse FEA : for Singaporeans in rememberance of the Silk Air Crash in Palembang Indonesia....

From: Rafael Santillan (santillan@ciateq.mx)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 22:26:31 EET

Dear Joheph

>if we to think on the reversal mode, given a piece of that PCB with the
>crack pattern(reverse engineered back the crack surfaces for meshing) and
>knowing the location of the PCB in the plane(the constraints) can we find
>where were the loads applied(the startpoint of the explosion or impact)?

THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION ES YES WE CAN DO REVERSE ANALYSIS AND INSTEAD TO APPLY LOAD TO A FEA WE CAN PROVIDE STRESS (ASSUMING WE KNOW THE STRESS LIMIT AFTER WHICH A CRACK DEVELOP) AND WE CAN GET THE EQUIVALENT IMPACTING OR EXPLOSIVE LOAD. HOWEVER YOU MUST BE AWARE THAT THE LOADING MAY GIVE YOU DIFFERENT LOADING CASES WHICH COMBINED PRODUCE A SIMILAR STRESS MAP ON THE PART.

A GOOD EXAMPLE OF YOUR SUGGESTION IS ALREADY ON USE WITH VEHICLE CRASH ANALYSIS, WHERE YOU START FROM THE DEFORMED VEHICLE AND YOU CAN ESTIMATE THE IMPACTING SPEED. THIS CAN BE DONE WITH PACKAGE THAT USE EXPLICIT METHODS LIKE DYNA 3D, PAMCRASH, ABAQUS, ETC. Y HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH ABAQUS AND DYNA 3D

BEST REGARDS

** Rafael Santillan, Ph.D. Mech. Eng. Office Phone: 52-42-112623 **
** Analysis and Numerical Simulation Fax: 52-42-169963 **
** Proc. Energ. **
** **
** Centro de Investigacion y Asistencia **
** Tecnica de Queretaro ( CIATEQ ) **
** <http://ciateq.mx/> **
** **
** Address: Calzada Retablo 150 Email: santillan@ciateq.mx **