Surface finishing of mold insert built by Rapid Tooling

From: MIN CHANG-SHIK (mcs9413@lge.co.kr)
Date: Sat Dec 26 1998 - 08:01:25 EET

  Dear all:

I would make some small volume tool using some rapid metal tooling
methods.I had hard time of doing polish for feature detail.
So I got to know one of the most difficult problems is POLISHING for
such feature details as deep narrow grooves,sharp edges,high apect
ratio ribs and what not. Of course you can say such feature details
could be machined or EDMed easily.
But I'd like to minimize any other tooling process intervened than
direct rapid tooling process itself.I believe the ideal direct tool
-ing should be a process which is able to minimize intervening mach-
ining processes.

Do you have any idea to minimize the intervening machining process ?

Is there anyone who can solve this problem of mine ?

I'm looking forward to your prompt reply.

  Thank in advance...and be a happy new year..

Chang-Shik,Min
Precision Technology Center,LG-PRC / LG Electronics Inc.
19-1,Cheongho-Ri,Jinwuy-Myon,Pyungtaek(451-713), R.O.Korea
(Voice)+82-333-660-7090
(Fax)+82-333-660-7384