Re: 3D Laser Digitizer(Scanner) for mold inspection

From: Alain BERNARD (alain.bernard@cran.u-nancy.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 10:30:47 EET

Min,

> I would check the accuracy of mold built by such rapid
> tooling technologies as SLS,DMLS using 3D laser scanner.
>
> But there seem to be so many arguments on whether 3D laser
> scanner can play a role of conventional CMM as an inspection
> tool or not.
>
> Can 3D laser scanner be used as an inspection tool like CMM ?
>
> Can anyone of you give me some advices about this ?

we use 3D laser scanning for global inspection of parts produced using
rapid prototyping and also to measure molds produced using rapid tooling or
equivalent.
We are developping an automatic process planning system for 3D laser
scanner in order to be able to directly and automatically generate the good
relative positions between the part (or the mold) and the scanner, and also
also the laser scanner path in order to minimize time consuming.
It is for a complete measurement process, in order to verify that the
obtain part (tool) is compatible with the initial CAD file, in a rapid
measurement way.

Best regards, and Happy new year to all list !

Prof. A. BERNARD
Prof. Alain BERNARD Tel : + 33 (0)3 83 91 27 29
Professeur des Universites + 33 (0)3 83 91 20 09
CRAN ESA CNRS 7039 Fax : + 33 (0)3 83 91 23 90
UHP Nancy I - ESIAL
BP n° 239, 54506 - VANDOEUVRE Cedex - FRANCE
ATTENTION ! NEW E-MAIL !
e-mail : alain.bernard@cran.u-nancy.fr http://www.cran.u-nancy.fr