Re: point cloud of a sculpture

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 19:28:59 EET

Dear Christine,

Here's my point. Scan data is incredibly problematic when undercuts and
convolutions are involved, yes? I'm amazed that you can scan something
so seemingly complex in 1-4 hours. Does that include the time it takes
to fix the inaccuracies. Or do you plan to have the sculptor fix them by
hand when the model is out of the mill?

Secondly, poser is very easy to work with. It demands a computer on the
faster side, but it is entry level computing.

Thirdly. Poser will output OBJ files which can be imported into most cam
packages and exported as STL or IGES for machining.

Fourthly, FORM Z will import point cloud data and create slices of that
data for reconstruction.

Fifth, FORM Z will import a non nurbs model and turn it into a patch
object which contains the nurbs information. This can be used for
machining and for STL. (Not available until v.3.0 which should be out in
the next 2 months).

Sixth, You can build libraries of forms and poses once you have made
them. This means that while your initial time to create models might be
high once you've saved them in poser and posed them in a variety of ways
you can output them easily. At the same time, poser will animate the
models and then output any frame in the animation.

Seventh, Many cam packages will now accept STL files for machining.

Does poser solve all your problems? No way! But it is an interesting
alternative to the problem. Again, the point is to get sculptors to
generate models from within the computer. This isn't a trivial problem
either but, traditional sculptors will not turn to RP and CNC to do a
small model. The only reason they might be interested is when they need
to scale up. If they are working directly within the computer, they can
make a small rp maquette or model, they can make a large 5 axis milled
model, they can make an animation, they can make the photographs of the
model in Time Square where the sculpture will be placed. and on and on.
It is this fluid interaction of modality that really makes the computer
in art interesting!!

My interest is to get sculptors thinking within the computer and using
rp and cnc. Its my contention that a) sculptors will help to popularize
rp b) sculptors can contribute to the development of rp by proposing
ways rp should work c) when more sculpture and rp are done, the cost of
doing this will come down d) the future of rp and of sculpture are
interlinked.(this is either nuts or very savvy)

I am very interested in all of these processes, despite my seeming
contrary nature against scanning. Will you publish your project on the
web for all of us to see? Will you share your results scanning and
milling and rp'ing? I have long wanted to do a 5 axis project and so any
information you can share would be very valueable to me.

best,

--
michael rees SCULPTOR 		http://www.sound.net/~zedand00/
1212 w 8th St. Bldg B #2, 	816 753 3020 voice    zedand00@sound.net