EDM Electrodes

From: Brent Stucker (stucker@egr.uri.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 19:22:36 EET

Hello from Idaho. I have been on travel for the last 2+ weeks and
have thus not taken the time to reply to the thread on EDM electrodes
yet. I agree with the comments that state that all of the EDM
electrode methods from RP that are currently available leave a lot
to be desired. I have been working on the problem for 5 years now and
I am happy to announce that there will soon issue a patent that deals
with this problem. DTM and a number of other companies are also
working with me to bring this to market.

I have developed techniques that allow EDM electrodes to be created from
RP in the material system Zyrkon. It is a composite material made up of
zirconium diboride and copper. It can be made similarly to DTM's current
RapidTool process and similar processes (such as Keltool, ProMetal, etc.).
DTM and a number of other companies are supporting the research and if
any other companies are interested in this and/or similar work on direct
production of "production" tooling using RP, we are always looking for
more partners in the Rapid Manufacturing Center (of which I am director).

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Sincerely,

Dr. Brent Stucker, Director
Rapid Manufacturing Center
University of Rhode Island
Dept. of Industrial and Manufacturing Engr.
Kingston, RI 02881
(401)874-5187
fax: 874-5540
stucker@egr.uri.edu