Fw: Slicing large STL files

From: Frankie Kwok (ktkwok@hkusua.hku.hk)
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 06:50:10 EET

-----Original Message-----
From: Frankie Kwok <ktkwok@hkusua.hku.hk>
To: Scott -Scooter- Sutterer <ssutter@pdmfg.com>; RP-ML <rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi>; Alta Precision <galonso@bcs.ca>
Cc: Dr. Choi <shchoi@hkucc.hku.hk>; Srinivas Samavedam <srinivas@hkusua.hku.hk>
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 1999 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Slicing large STL files

Hi,

We are currently working on a Memory Efficient Slicing Algorithm for STL files.
The program mainly alleviates the memory bottle-neck caused by STL file size during slicing.
For the time being, the largest STL file I sliced was 38MB having 767256 facets using a 64MB RAM under Win 95. Sorry I could not remember the time taken!!.

However, as of now it can only generate a custom layer format (CNT) in ASCII format which is very much similar to CLI. I will incorporate the CLI output module in near future.

If you are still interested in having a copy of our program, please contact me.

Frankie, K. T. Kwok, MPhil. Student
Dept. of Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Eng.
The University of Hong Kong, SAR China
ktkwok@hkusua.hku.hk