Re: CNC versus Rapid Tooling from RP

From: Ray Brandes (rbrandes@ingeniusatg.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 14:10:27 EET

Some things you can do with CNC and can't with RP. Precision surfaces for example.

Some things you can do with RP and can't with any other method. Intricate cooling
lines in a mold for example.
We are adding RP capibilities to our bank of metal working skills. What it looks
like now is that RP, DTM rapid steel in perticular, is a good way to make a
"roughed out" mold half. Then we skin it with CNC to dimension and then polish.
Make no mistake about it, 3D printers are here to stay. They will get better and
less expensive. The Sanders already uses two materials at the same time. Next will
be several materials and eventually we will call the machine a replicator.
-Ray Brandes,
Ingenius ATG