Re: Request for information

From: Wayne L Foss (wlfoss@crnotes.collins.rockwell.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 17:29:47 EET

Marco,

I have an FDM 1650. All of the modelers you list, including their new
Quantum, have two extrude tips. One for the part material and one for the
support material. Don't confuse this technology with the 3D printers that
have multiple spray jets that turn off and on as needed. In the FDM
process, the extrude tip traces the outline of the part and then returns to
fill in the void to create a solid part. This is somewhat similar to the
toolpath of a CNC mill.

Wayne
Rockwell Collins
Cedar rapids, IA