Re: RP For Windtunnel/Aerodynamic

From: Nick Osborn (Nick@liptool.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 13:47:31 EET

Dear Deon

We have built a wide range of scaled parts in LOM for automotive / F1 / aerospace windtunnel applications over the last four years or so - such parts include inlet manifolds, turbocharger housings, suspension components / assemblies, gear box covers, etc.

Once impregnated under vacuum with an epoxy system we find the LOM process is particularly suitable for parts that go down to a feather edge, or parts where you need a high level of interior surface finish (due to the "cleavable" nature of the process) e.g. for a turbocharger housing with a complex internal volute, or for an inlet manifold.

Steps in this case would generally be as follows:

1. Build LOM model of entire part in one piece
2. "Cleave" model at appropriate Z height(s) to access key internal surfaces
3. De-block & resin impregnate under vacuum
4. Surface finish (from light spark through to polished finish) as required
5. Re-assemble cleaved sections to form final, internally finished part ready for aerodynamic testing

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards

Nick

Nick Osborn
Managing Director
nick@lip.co.uk
LIPTOOL Ltd.
140 - 144 Station Road, March,
Cambs. PE15 8NH, UK

"REAL PARTS REAL QUICK!"

Tel: +44 (0) 1354 650 789
Fax: +44 (0) 1354 650 799

>>> "Mnr. D de Beer" <ddebeer@ENG.TOFS.AC.ZA> 19/02/99 05:23:24 >>>
Dear RP list

I would like to get some info on success with RP for use in
windtunnels or aerodynamic evaluation.

Regards

Deon de Beer

 Deon de Beer