Re: SLA-500 Laser problem

From: ERIC KING (lzrdude@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 21:02:41 EET

TAN CHOR ANN, RP wrote:

> Dear list,
> Can any 3D Systems SLA500 user out there tell me the meaning of the
> message "External Interlock" that appears whenever i try to fire up the
> laser unit of our SLA500?? (We're using a Coherent laser unit)
> The laser chiller unit and power supply is working fine, and everything
> else seems to be in working order, but this External Interlock is
> preventing our machine's laser from firing up as it should.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Raymond Tan
> Rapid Prototype & Manufacturing Center
> Research & Development Dept.
> PROTON Bhd.
> MALAYSIA
>
> Raymond Tan
> Rapid Prototype & Manufacturing Center
> Research & Development Dept.
> PROTON Bhd.
>
> For more information about the rp-ml, see http://ltk.hut.fi/rp-ml

Dear Tan Chor Ann,

There are several possibilities which could cause the "external
interlock" error to come up. First, you will get that message when the
SLA is powered down and the LaserPure in not running. This is normal
after a run or when the system is sitting idle. When you type "lcm 1 1"
in DOS, the LaserPure should turn on, starting the power supply and the
laser. If the system does not turn on, the laser is not recognizing the
LaserPure interlock as being there. This is one area to investigate.

The next thing to look at is the "analog interface" connection at the
rear of the laser power supply. If the connector is not plugged in, you
will get the "external interlock" error. Check this connection.

If both of these do not solve the problem, you may have a problem with
main control board in the power supply. The board would have to be
replaced.

Sincerely,

Cesare Consaga
Laser Engineer