progress?

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 14:44:47 EET

Food for thought about today's college generation and what this means to
product development.

> 1. The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born
> in 1980.
> 2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and did not know
> he had ever been shot.
> 3. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
> 4. Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
> 5. There has been only one Pope. They can only really remember one
> president.
> 6. There were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the
> Cold War.
> 7. They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them,
> not a movie.
> 8. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
> 9. Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
>
> 10. Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
>
> 11. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
>
> 12. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
>
> 13. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
>
> 14. They have never owned a record player.
>
> 15. They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
> 16. Star Wars looks very fake to them, and the special effects are pathetic.
> 17. There have always been red M&M's and blue ones are not new. There used
> to be beige ones?
> 18. They may have heard of an 8 track, but probably never have actually seen
> or heard one.
> 19. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were just a year old.
> 20. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents.
> 21. They have always had an answering machine.
>
> 22. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen
> a black-and-white TV.
>
> 23. They have always had cable.
>
> 24. There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta is.
> 25. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
> 26. They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.
> 27. Roller-skating has always meant inline for them.
>
> 28. The Tonight Show has always been with Jay Leno.
>
> 29. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
>
> 30. Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
>
> 31. They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a
> football player.
>
> 32. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
> 33. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as W.W.I, W.W.II, or even
> the Civil War.
>
> 34. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
>
> 35. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
>
> 36. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
>
> 37. They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel,"or
> "de plane, de plane!"
>
> 38. They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J.R. is.
>
> 39. The Titanic was found? I thought we always knew where it was.

> [...]

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html