Re: RP tools can model human figures?

From: michael rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 20:55:09 EET

Ricardo Silva wrote:

> Can you tell me if Rapid Prototyping (RP) devices like the Stratasys
> "Genisys" have already been used to sculpt detailed human figures? Are
> these machines capable of reproducing a small-sized proportional scuplture
> of an adult in a standing position, with enough detail (like perceivable
> eyes)?
>
> The end result would be a small size human statue (like a small Ancient
> Greece non-naked statue :-)
>
> I'd really appreciate if you can tell me if you are aware of
> artists/companies doing this right now.
> Many thanks for your time and knowledge.
>
> Best regards,
> Ricardo Silva

Ricardo,

There are many who have used RP as you've described. Last spring (April
issue?) there was an article in sculpture magazine devoted to rapid
prototyping. You should be able to find sculpture at any good library.
You can also see my work in Computer Graphics World December issue. If
you've been following the list, I posted an email about "Poser" a 169US$
program for creating posed figures that can then be exported to a cad
program that saves stl files. Are you interested to sculpt something
with RP. Ain't nothing to it but to do it!!

best,

--
michael rees SCULPTOR 		http://www.sound.net/~zedand00/
1212 w 8th St. Bldg B #2, 	816 753 3020 voice    zedand00@sound.net