RE: Another Regulation?????

From: Brent Stucker (stucker@uri.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 17:08:27 EET

Derek

This is one of those infamous Internet hoaxes. It is somewhat grounded
in fact, but is blown-out-of-proportion and has lost all touch with reality.
(Note that there is no date on the note and lack of critical information
that would allow someone to check the facts.) Info concerning this and
other hoaxes can be found at the website: http://www.kumite.com/myths/
Please check this page before forwarding any questionable looking
information.

Having said that, I heard on the news a couple of days ago that the
Federal Communications Commission has just ruled that access to
internet providers can be considered a state-to-state phone call (even if
it is a local number) because of the fact that the internet is access to
info outside of your local area. This is the first step necessary for the
government to add extra charges and fees for internet service, but as
of yet, I have not heard of any legitimate proposals to do so.

Brent Stucker
Dr. Brent Stucker
Assistant Professor
University of Rhode Island
Dept. of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
Gilbreth Hall, 2 East Alumni Ave.
Kingston, RI 02881
ph: (401)874-5187
fax: (401)874-5540