Re: academic vs SBs

From: Foamcaster@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 22:00:21 EET

In a message dated 3/1/1999 8:07:13 AM Mountain Standard Time,
ehunt@ces.clemson.edu writes:

<< >others. Since I am presently in the entrepreneurial role, I tend to be
>sensitized to comments from academia that imply distain for the effors of

 You judged my remarks as "distain" for Brad's efforts..... That's too bad
 since that was not intended. Brad and I have teased each other often about
 his "efforts' to sell me an Actua. If my remarks seem offensive then
 please let me know why they offended you so much. Are academics viewed as
 uncaring or unfeeling? I hope not....otherwise I would not have attended
 the workshop Friday trying to increase my awareness on how to prevent
 myself from hurting others.

 You have taught me a few more lessons on how to prevent prejudice ...
 stop using communicating with anyone....
 bowing my head when spoken to...
 and always agreeing with everything said.

 goactua!

 elaine >>

Elaine,

The complete text of my comment about our tendencies to form prejudices, and
then be influenced by them was:

<Sometimes our own predjudices can cause us to misinterpret the motives of
others. Since I am presently in the entrepreneurial role, I tend to be
sensitized to comments from academia that imply distain for the effor[t]s of
business people. I am reminded of my reaction to your recent reply to Brad
Fox's message . . . >

My comment was not intended as a personal attack on your motives. In fact, if
read from a nondefensive point of view, I hope it will be evident that I was
commenting on MY OWN prejudices, rather than yours. My comment was about MY
reaction, not your intentions.

Your note about the seminar you would be attending reminded me of MY reaction
to your note to Brad. I appreciate receiving your clarification of your
intent and the ongoing "teasing" nature of your communications with Brad. I
apologize for the lack of clarity in my reply and the negative feelings it
appears to have evoked in you . . .

<You have taught me a few more lessons on how to prevent prejudice ...
stop using communicating with anyone....
bowing my head when spoken to...
and always agreeing with everything said.>

Being the cause of such feelings was never my intent. When you brought up the
subject of the potential for prejudice between academics and SBs , it caused
me to examine my own feelings on the subject. My reply was simply a written
record of the course of those thoughts. As I mentally examine any particular
concept, idea, philosophy, etc., I attempt to reduce those thoughts to
general principles that I can use to guide my own future thoughts and actions.

Again, my intent was simply to share my thoughts and conclusions, not to
preach at or accuse you of ill intent. Indeed, having been an observer of,
and occasional participant in the RP-ML, I have come to very much appreciate
your questions and observations that stimulate me to examine my preconceived
notions about the way things really are. The last thing I wish to do would be
to discourage you (or anyone else) from expressing their thoughts and opinions
here. Diversity of opinion and experience are the greatest assets of this
forum.

Ken Miller
Miller Technologies
395 S. 1100 W.