Fwd: Decline of RP

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 21:26:01 EET

>There has been a whole load of stuff on this list about the terrible state
>of the RP industry. It almost seems as if this fabulous industry has turned

I too have expressed some concern this week to a few dinosaurs about
speakers (or lack of them). Is RP becoming so competitive that legal
departments have squished any budding reports? Is there not enough time in
the day to complete assigned work so participation is limited to a quick
attendance? Users are beginning to be takers not sharers? Has conference
costs escalated beyond ROI of attendance?

Some industrial users tell me they have to take their vacation days to
attend conferences. They can't get approval for 2 days much less three or
more. Since they must complete their work assignments on time they use
vacation time which is not counted against them. Also most tell me they
have little time to read and if it is printed to forget sending it to them.

Yet as I travel the state talking about RP&M the average potential RP
user gets very excited about what they can do with RP and RE. The new
parts I received from DTM causes eyes to brighten. My petting zoo of RP
parts clearly remains the best advertisement of this technology coupled
with face to face discussions.

Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html