Re: Methods for 100 steel parts

From: Britt Ferrill (bferrill@nr.infi.net)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 22:52:02 EET

Pedro Garayo was looking for the fastest way to make about 100 steel parts
(44Rc hardness).

Depending on the part shape you might consider:

1) Wire EDM (especially if the parts are relatively flat and could be cut in
stacks. Ram EDM would be required for blind holes and starter holes for the
wire. This is routinely done in hardened steel to six inches or greater
stacked heights). It may take several cuts with 90 degree axis shifts to
complete the part. Plus possibly other machining.

2) Electrochemical etching. Again works best on very thin parts (to perhaps
0.040" range). Etched sheets are typically up to 12-18" by 24" which allows
nesting many parts per sheet.

3) Water jet with abrasive added. Will work up to several inches thick.
Kerfs in thinner stock will be at least 0.015 to 0.020" wide. Again
material can be stacked if desired. Some details will probably need
conventional maching as the water jet must cut all the way through the
material.

4) CNC milling/drilling using carbide cutters. This will probably offer
the most versatility if the part is bulky and complex rather than more of a
flat sheet.

5) Combinations of the above processes, including welding up several pieces.

To make the best decision we need a better description of the desired part
and required tolerances.

Britt Ferrill
860 Foxwood Road
Madison, NC 27025