Re: Virtual Prototyping

From: Srinivas Samavedam (srinivas@hkusua.hku.hk)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 06:43:10 EET

I agree that we have to go a long way to replace physical
prototypes with
virtual ones. However, VP can act as a complementary
technology to RP for better
and efficient product development. Virtual prototyping,
covers a spectrum of
engineering tools used for product design and manufacturing.
In product design,
it is useful for geometry manipulation. However, as of time,
the haptic devices
we have are not very user friendly and manipulation with
them is limited. But,
we have a good starting point. One day, a stylist will
create/ manipulating a
topology with a glove and a RP machine producing it.

The second major domain of VP is process modeling, useful to
simulate the
manufacturing process for parameter tuning and alleviate
bottlenecks. This
division where the human interaction is not very dominant as
in product design,
has promising outcomes. For this process modeling, RP is
defiantly the nearest
cousin, because of its 3D model requirement.

We are now simulating RP process in virtual environment to
tune process
parameters. The virtually fabricated parts are useful as
good reference to
overcome problems due to overlapping contours, analyze
stair-step effect,
orientation influence, adding colors and textures for
realistic representation
of it. The output in VRML format is useful to solicit
feedback via web, I am
working over the same. Ofcourse, adding the thermal analysis
would be useful for
a better understanding of the geometric changes.

to sum up all :
    VP+RP= better, efficient and economic product
development

Regards,
Srinivas

programs and
> >their impact on RP? I myself cannot see images replacing
physical
> >prototypes as it is against human nature (purely visual
versus touch and
> >sight).
> >
> >This concept appears to me to be similar to the paperless
office concept
> >-- i.e., computers were supposed to eliminate paper
documents, but in
> >reality increased them. Will this also happen in our
little world?