Re: Art and Science

From: Klas Boivie (kbv@cadcam.kth.se)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 21:55:34 EET

Hello again,

That's a great quote Michael! But there is one fundamental difference
between art an science/technology in their purest forms that gives the
science/technology the authority that art is lacking;
-Science/technology has a measurable effect. The function can be tried,
rejected, appreciated, improved, -whatever, but it can be experienced by
anyone that knows how to apply it.

A pure work of art on the other hand can only have an effect by the
response it stirs in peoples minds. I dont think I am entirely wrong when I
claim to quote Chagall in his reaction to cubeism: "It is surely great art,
but I don't understand it."

A great work of art can stir different effects in a large group of people.
(Who would never agree on what's so great about that specific work of art.)
That is one reason why a work of art can be invalueble, whereas the price
of science & technology quite easily can be calculated.

It might be over-simplistic to say that "science and engineering is art,
with a measurable effect" (I'm not quite sure about that one, I have think
it over for some time.)
An argument along that line is: http://www.telegate.se/bonk/ (and also
dangerously close to midweek funnies)

But to balance the "crazy artists" the modern western culture has got its
fair share of "nutty professors", "mad scientists" and "crazy inventors"
(for mysteriuos reasons popular culture believes that engineers are
boring...). It is just that: when people don't understand what you are
doing or aiming at, they tend to believe to think you are crazy of some sort.
-Well, as long as they consider us harmless (and fairly cost effective)
that will leave us the space to investigate and "expand into the realms
where only the fearless tread" (thanks Elaine)

/Klas

Klas Boivie M.Sc.
Ph.D.stud.
KTH, Royal Institute of Technology (which, by the way, has the motto:
"Science and Art")
Brinellvägen 68
100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
ph +46 8 790 6371