Re: 1/4-20 thread?

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 20:42:02 EET

>he should absolutely make a pilot hole in the cad model,
>we all know that there isn't an rp hole out there that is truly round, so i
>always opt for a finish drill.

    Yes, I stand corrected. Drilling into a pilot hole and then tapping is
still relatively easy and will give a better quality thread.

>drill the final hole before tapping (a male thread will present other
>challenges, obviously).

    But is this true? Can't we accomplish the same thing by fabbing an
oversize post in the correct position and orientation, and then cutting a
thread into it? Hopefully, the post will not be so off-round that a
threading tool (sorry, I'm not sure the technical term for this tool) can't
fit onto it.

Marshall Burns

Marshall Burns, President
Ennex(TM) Corporation
Fabbing the Future(TM)
10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024
Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700. Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185
E-mail: fabbers@Ennex.com. Web site: http://www.Ennex.com
***** Copyright (c) 1999, Ennex Corporation