Re: Order Prototypes on the Internet?

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 21:51:38 EET

Randy: My comments preceeded by %%%%%%%%%%%%%% Hope they are helpful. Good
luck in your studies.

At 09:37 AM 3/24/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am a student at the University of Southern California and I am
>researching the use of the internet to order rapid prototypes. I know
>Compression has an online ordering service for rapid prototyping but I am
>looking for more information on this subject.
>
>I would like to have an offline discussion with anyone who:
> Is using online ordering and can tell me how well it is working?

%%%%%%%%%%% We ask interested parties needing prototype investment cast
parts to attach a zipped binary .stl to an e-mail to us stating their
address/tel/fax, the production quantity anticipated and alloy desired, and
to fax fully dimensioned prints, so that we can quote both prototypes and
production, if able.

> Knows of anyone else who has online ordering capability?

%%%%%%%%% The service centers we use to build RP patterns all have on-line
ordering policies.

%%%%%%%%% Oftentimes we refer interested parties who lack the capability to
3D CAD designers, all of whom have on-line ordering policies.

> Is interested in ordering or providing prototypes over the internet?
> Is currently working on developing or know someone who is developing an
>online ordering system?

%%%%%%%%%%%5 I can't see this working. A middleman is unnecessary, would add
nothing useful to the transaction and would cost time.

> Has any comments about the benefits or issues of ordering online?
> Has any comments about how online ordering will change the industry?

%%%%%%%%%%%% Internet transactions to obtain prototypes and production is
rapidly becoming commonplace.