RE: New Design Models

From: will pattison (wpattison@4ddesign.com)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 23:29:29 EEST

essentially, all these methods build objects from stacks of particles. at
a certain point in the furnace cycle, the ony thing holding the stacks
together is friction and surface tension. under these conditions, thin
ribs and bosses can just lean or topple completely over.

when the furnace cycle reaches the melt temp of the infiltrant metal, the
molten pool basically wicks into the "brown" (nothing but a metal matrix,
no binder left) part like a sponge. if temperature variations or
impediments to flow exist, you can get a "bubble". bad news when you go to
polish, machine, or weld.

now, i know lots of good work has been done to solve these problems at dtm.
 my question is, what have these other companies done?

wp.