New LIPTOOL web-site / Questions re. die casting, RT, etc.

From: Nick Osborn (Nick@liptool.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 19:56:54 EEST

Dear List

We are pleased to announce the launch of the new LIPTOOL Ltd web site, at www.liptool.co.uk - any comments or questions will be most welcome.

The LIPTOOL Rapid Tooling System has been developed to provide "Real Parts Real Quick", currently in thermoset and thermoplastic materials. We are in the process of developing Type C LIPTOOL for the die casting of non-ferrous alloys (gravity first, pressure second).

Our initial market research has indicated that this is the next area likely to raise its head once more manufacturers (involved in designing and producing products / assemblies which incorporate both plastic injection moulded and metal die cast components) fully incorporate the benefits of one or more of the various RT processes for plastic/rubber components into their process chains as standard practice.

As such I would like to ask the following questions:

Is the above supposition borne out by your experiences within the field? Or are there much larger corporate issues (PDM, perhaps?) waiting in the wings that could dwarf the need for die castings in days instead of weeks or months?

Secondly, on a broader note:

At Liptool we see the current Rapid Tooling revolution as the final link from concept through to production, following on from the CAD and RP revolutions respectively - would you agree with this or is there another revolution (e.g. internet + nanotechnology + rapid manufacturing = instant mass customisation) poised to leapfrog current convention?

I look forward to your responses to the above.

Regards

Nick

Nick Osborn
Managing Director