Low priced RP (was RE: Meeting)

From: DANIEL CHARLES DAVIS (DANIEL@proton.com.my)
Date: Sat Apr 10 1999 - 04:40:06 EEST

Alair,

The only way I can see someone selling at a price that low is that the
SLA machine is far enough along in the depreciation scale that it is
"paid for," allowing desperate (or agressive -- it's a fine line
sometimes) service bureaus to undercut existing the market value of RP
patterns. Why should they care, they make their money, too bad for the
rest. Free market economy and all that -- that's their response.

Well, IMHO, this is a bad thing. It is very short sighted (but isn't
all of corporate America these days?) It will force good service
bureaus and RP machine principals out of business, or at least curtail
the RnD activity of those companies (gee, isn't it starting already?)

I can't make it to the SME/RPA event, but I send all attending my best
(have a beer & a slice for me). I'm looking forward to the reviews on
the RPML.

---
Regards,
Dan Davis
PROTON Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing Center
Hicom Industrial Estate, Batu Tiga, PO Box 7100
Shah Alam, 40918 Selangor MALAYSIA
+60 3 515-2380 phone/fax
http://www.protoncar.com/rapid/index.htm