RE: Improved Accuracy Tools

From: will pattison (wpattison@4ddesign.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 16:38:57 EEST

expert or not, you are exactly right about the difficulties that can be
encountered in building a production tool. however, let me clarify what i
said.

the "rapid" and the "inexpensive" are what is at issue here. ideally,
between rapid tooling and production tooling, the gap for both of these
variables will be as large as possible. when you have to do lots of things
besides build an rp pattern, set it up in a casting box, and pour a tool
around it, the gap closes. the method that al proposes is certainly an
intelligent way of getting an accurate mold, but its' application will be
limited to certain niches where the cost of the tool and the criticality of
its features and application are already substantial. say, a large
enclosure part with a dozen screw boss locations and a shadow line all the
way around the joint, and where spending twice as much money and time as a
simpler rt approach would require is justified by the scope of the project.

don't get me wrong. i'm a huge fan of rapid tooling, when used correctly.
 however, anytime you add more human factors and shrinkage factors and
economic factors, etc. etc., just because you can, then you are asking for
trouble. that was my only point.

wp.