Sizing up a customer by their mode of dress

From: Steven (themissinglink@eznetinc.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 1999 - 18:41:49 EEST

I can tell you that this is a perilous way to size up a customer. I have
either sold or made jewelry since I was 15 and I cannot tell you the number
of surprises I have had with casually/shabbily dressed people who opened up
to purchase an expensive item, FOR CASH. In fact, I have read studies to
the effect that a majority of "millionaires" are not the chic, credit
overextended, individuals we all think represent that social class. Over
60% live in nice, yet somewhat modest houses, dress casually, and are
engaged in the more mundane manufacturing/dirty hands businesses.

Many brokers, doctors, and lawyers, when you balance their high incomes with
their spending habits/credit situation, don't have a pot to piss in. They
live on the edge of their high income, secure that it will never fail them.

So shun the poorly dressed at your own peril.

Wear sunscreen.

Steven Pollack