RE: Ignored

From: Sabino Mata (SMata@SeattleLH.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 21:36:58 EEST

Being a minority, I really think that you have missed the mark on this
issue. Yes, we all have to fit-in to a certain degree. Your anecdote gives
the impression that if " that female had not been able to out arm wrestle
the guys and kick their behinds" she might not have made it. What did you do
as a supervisor to facilitate her integration into the group? I feel that my
successes have been due to my abilities. But if I have to act "white" to be
considered or accepted into the group then the price is too high. And just
to set the record straight, I don't carry my ethnicity on my shoulder. I
strive to evaluate people on their abilities and qualities. In the end, it's
a person's ability and merit that should be the deciding factor of on the
job success.