Re: Valve Body Quotation

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 23:05:19 EEST

How sweet it is! (doing RP business on the i-net). I want to commend Todd on
the slick way he presented his needs to the internet, with his file easily
available to all who wanted it by simply clicking on a hot-link. Well done!
Very efficient.

I copied the RP-ML with this response as part of the thread "The Future of
the RP Industry":

Those of us who are USING the outputs of your several kinds of RP Machines
are very busy. Today, for example, we're dealing with the need for a
1-1/4-inch x 0.280 dia thin-walled prototype part in quantities of a
hundred, a 15-inch x 5 x 3 manifold in quantities of 2,000 and a few others
of intermediate size and complexity as well. This is a typical day, in
providing customers with prototype precision castings leading to production
orders.

The smallest part today requires the very finest possible resolution, finish
and accuracy of say 0.001/63 RMA/0.003 inch/inch. The largest can accomodate
perhaps 0.005/125 RMA/0.005 inch/inch.

The RP machines which can produce patterns with those attributes at the
fastest build rates will get the work, at any reasonable machine price.

I suppose that at a 30% utilization, the RP machine price would have to be
under $50,000 to interest me in owning, rather than in buying patterns from
Service Bureaus. At under $10,000 and reliable to run unattended I would
want one of each, and a couple for in-between.