RE: No shortage of Brains

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 04:12:18 EEST

I should correct an impression I may have made about the $20k machine.
It's not that I can't make a business model for a $20k machine (actually, I
wasn't asked to write the business plan for the SRI technology). I think
we can and did. However, the financial investors considering the SRI
technology had specific internal hurdles and returns on investment they wanted
to see within a specified length of time and they didn't see that. An
entrepreneur, with vision and a willingness to sacrifice something in that
short-to-medium-term time frame, in order to meet a long-term vision or
personal goal, might make a different decision.

I will argue that the early adopter of the new machine will still be
someone that sees a distinct advantage, but, as Charles suggests, that
advantage for one type of user might be different from the one the current
industry is geared up to fulfill. I tried to get some test projects going with
the art community, for instance, but SRI's scientists and engineers must
survive on paying customers and, as the DARPA funding ran out, we were not
able to consumate explorations of those nonindustrial user needs.

Charles Overy wrote:
Seriously, I think that the RP market needs to continue to diversify away
from
>the pure mechanical and industrial design markets. It appears to me
that the
>current pricing of the machinery only allows for a limited market where
the
>"rapid" provides a distinct strategic advantage. This is good for first
>adopters, but leaves out a very large traditional market. In the
architectural
>markets our company has a niche where we can charge top dollar for
cycle times
>under two weeks for a fairly complex but inaccurate (by RP standards -
don't
>tell my customers) model. We cut 2D parts with a laser from CAD and
build by
>hand. Utilizing, readily available architectural students we can build
for
>significantly less (fully burdened cost of a 12" x 6" x 4" model at
>approx.$550) than an RP machine. Until the machines can compete with
the
>traditional cost of building in an accountants mind (e.g. not including
the
>intangible "strategic advantage" or other variables like error savings)
RP