Space Puzzle Molding

From: Terry T. Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 05:46:49 EEST

Glenn Whiteside wrote:

> Could someone explain what "Space Puzzle Molding" is?

Space Puzzle Molding is a process that was developed by Protoform GmbH of
Fürth, Germany. I had the opportunity to see it for the first time at
EuroMold in Frankfurt last December. Very interesting approach. The
process was recently made available here in the U.S. by Protoform North
America. Doug VanPutte serves as the company's senior sales
representative.

A Space Puzzle Mold is designed with many parting lines so that it fits
together like a puzzle. No ejector pins or mechanical mold slides are
necessary, even for complex parts. According to Doug, SPM is capable of
injection molding accurate, complex, and production-like prototype parts in
virtually any plastic at normal molding conditions with a reduction in lead
time and cost compared to other approaches. I'm sure that Doug would be
glad to expand on this.

Terry

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.