Re: Gympsum material

From: Scott Nelson (scott@sceneryplastics.com)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 22:21:58 EEST

USG makes rayite, I believe there are 3 grades, I only am familiar with
one, the machining grade, rayite-m I think.

It is not a slurry.... You mix it with water and pour into a casting
pattern, I use urethane rubber molds for this. In about 2-3 hours it is
cured and can be mounted on a milling machine as a solid block. It cuts
like butter with no dust, the rayite cuts off in big flakes leaving behine a
hard, polishable part with I will then often cast in aluminum filled
urethane for prototype tooling.

I have never seen rayite spread with a squeegee, it doesn't work that way.

Scott