mico rp

From: Chris Sutcliffe (c.j.sutcliffe@liverpool.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 11:04:24 EEST

Dear Glyn and List

I assure you there is no need to laugh just have a look at this web page http://www.microtec-d.com/ These guys have really grasped the nettle and are building in 1 micron layers!!!!. The Following is a quote from their web site

"The component is built up in steps of less than 1µm and a resolution of less than 10µm. The component size is currently limited to a maximum of 35mm³. "

I have taken the liberty of attaching a few photos to this mail (once again from their web site so I hope they don't mind) for you all to look at.

I think EPFL have a similar system and they display a RP model of a Porsche about 3mm long. Unfortunately I can't find the web site this morning so have a dig around I assure you Its very much worth the effort.

Also Dr. Bill O'Neill and myself at the University of Liverpool are about to start a project on micro RP which you may be interested in. We would be happy to discuss industrial liaison with companies on this project.

Thanks

Dr. Chris. Sutcliffe
Rapid Prototyping and Micromanufacture Research
Product Innovation and Development Centre
Department of Engineering
3 Brownlow St.
Liverpool L69 3GL

(0151) 794 8022 Direct