RE: QuickCast Pattern Leak Testing Methods

From: KDenton@williams-int.com
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 23:29:58 EEST

David,

We have tried everything from smoke to positive air pressure under a liquid
and none seem to work all that well. I'd use a combination of methods
starting with about 5lbs of positive pressure along with a stethoscope. If
you cannot find the holes using this method then on a thoroughly cured
pattern ( in the box for 5 to 6 hours) use the positive pressure and
submerse the pattern in water ONLY WITH POSITIVE PRESSURE APPLIED. You will
find the hole(s) via visual and then with air still being applied remove the
part from the water, wipe off the part, mark the are of concern with a
marker and then remove the air. These two methods seem to work best for the
parts that we do (small jet engine type parts).

I hope this helps

Karl Denton
Senior Engineer
Stereolithography and Prototyping