Re: Off topic but off interest

From: Michael Rees (zedand00@sound.net)
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 23:28:05 EEST

William D. Richards wrote:

> At 2:27 AM -0600 1999/07/03, Michael Rees wrote:

Bill,

Have you seen those little vinyl cutters? I'm pretty sure they'll take
matt board. This could make a fine little model for visual inspection
and with some additon of plaster, wax or other, could easily become a
suitable art model. This cuts out the scissors and the cramped hands.

check this site out:

http://www.allendatagraph.com/vcutters.html

best, Mike

e information about the rp-ml, see http://ltk.hut.fi/rp-ml/

> Mike,
>
> I don't see how this could off-topic. Defining Rapid Prototyping as
> generating a physical part from a CAD file, this seems to fall into the RP
> category.
>
> In an earlier letter, I mentioned how I had some models that were
> unbuildable. Actually, two of them did have solutions. In one, the only way
> was to break the 3D solid model into pieces using CAD software, create RP
> tools based on each seperate piece, shoot wax into the tools and then push
> the resulting wax patterns together.
>
> I've even created a couple of models by having my favorite CAD program
> unfold the model, and then print the resulting pattern onto paper. A pair
> of scissors, a few hours, and rather cramped hands later, I had a model
> created out of paper.
>
> Carpenters use tongue and groove joints to create furniture, why couldn't
> we do that with a RP pattern?
>
> The trick, Mike, is to get the pieces to align correctly. There are a
> number of techniques to do this, you just have to use your imagination.
> Though I guess I could say that you should consider the end use of the
> pattern in determining the technique you use to connect the sections.
>
> You know, it just occurred to me that using RP would be a terrific way to
> create some of those wild 3D puzzles that companies make...
>
> Bill Richards
> ._____________________________________________________.
> /| Virtual Concepts Design ...Where the Virtual |
> | | Becomes REAL! |
> | | 696 Paine Rd. |
> | | North Attleborough, MA 02760 |
> | | Phone/Fax:(508) 695-0534 |