RE: SLS glass duraform problems

From: Miller, Michael W (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 20:45:32 EEST

We have also had trouble with the regular duraform giving an orange peel finish when it gets too old. This problem was lightly addressed by DTM by saying that it isn't 100% recyclable after all and should be completely replaced every so often. Throwing out some of the part cake and replacing with fresh helps but does not cure. Our current solution since we have the luxury of 3 sinterstations is to run approx 10 builds with new powder in one (high quality) machine, then transfer the powder to the next (mid quality) machine for about 10 builds, then to the 3rd (low quality) machine for about 10 builds before trashing the remaining powder. I wish DTM would come up with a revitalizing tonic for that "root problem".

Michael W Miller (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
The Boeing Company MS 17-PE B-XT62
Propulsion Experimental Hardware 206-655-3289
Rapid Prototyping 655-4366 Lab 655-4365