Re: Spam - A solution?

From: kevan_jones@cemcom.com
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 18:28:44 EEST

Most of these tools will usually work, as long as the From line in the email
contains the original senders (ie Spammer's) address. This is the case with the
rp-ml distributed messages, so anyone who finds this spam annoying might
consider installing one of these programs. They usually come with pre-defined
lists of the hottest spam originating addresses, so you just make your own
additions as you receive junk. The key is that in most cases, you have to
receive Spam to recognise that it is Spam, so that you can include it in your
list of filtered mail.

Kevan

"Dr. Matt Murphy" <MurphyM@mechnet.liv.ac.uk> on 07/12/99 10:52:16 AM

cc:

Subject: Spam - A solution?

Just a quick thought -

I was browsing a Freeware download site earlier today and found several
downloads designed to help you combat spam, eg:

SpammerSlammer v1.2.B1
SpamEater Standard v2.20
BounceSpam v1.8

I have no idea whether they are of any use in our situation (the rp-ml being
targeted), but if nothing else the names of the software made me smile.

They can be found at http://www.webattack.com/freeware/comm/fwspam.shtml

Matt

Dr Matt Murphy
Director