RE: Possible Virus is a Hoax

From: Caffrey, Tim (tcaffrey@pweh.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 23:24:13 EEST

Many people are hearing information regarding a virus termed "WOBBLER."
Network Associates (makers of McAfee Virus Scan) have reported this as
a hoax, posing no threat. Please see the following information for more
detail:

Virus Hoax Center
Wobbler Hoax
AVERT HOAX Notice!!
NAI Labs AVERT would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.
This email message is just a HOAX, currently we know of no other message that the user will receive about the HOAX as the initial email states. AVERT has not received any report of a user's hard drive being erased for opening the email.
We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.
Below is the actual text from the message that may be received via email.
Thought you might be interested in this message. If you receive an email with a file called "California" do not open the file. The file contains the "WOBBLER" virus.
This information was announced yesterday morning by IBM. The report says that ... "This is a very dangerous virus, much worse than "Melissa" and there is NO remedy for it at this time. Some very sick individual has succeeded in using the reformat function from Norton Utilities causing it to completely erase all documents on the hard drive. It has been designed to work with Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. It destroys Macintosh and IBM compatible computers. This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know about it at this time.
Please pass this warning to everyone in your address book and share it with all your online friends ASAP so that the destruction it can cause may be minimized."
__________________________________
- This is the end of the email message -
Again if you receive this email delete the it and DO NOT pass it on
AVERT
A Division of NAI Labs

Tim Caffrey
Pratt & Whitney