RE: Convert STL file to cloud points

From: Ping Fu (pfu@geomagic.com)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 19:50:04 EEST

geomagic Wrap from Raindrop Geomagic (www.geomagic.com)
will take any STL file or a polygonal file
and save it as points only file. If this is just one time thing, you can
send me
the file, I'll be happy to send you an ascii file back that contains only
points.

Why do you need to do this? Just curious. We do it because sometimes we
get
STL file full of holes and gaps, we will throw away the connectivity and
build
a watertight triangle surface again from point cloud. This turns out to be
quicker
than try to fill holes.

Ping