RE: Fabber manufacturing

From: KDenton@williams-int.com
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 16:30:08 EEST

Roger,

Rapid Prototyping is not and will not be "the" manufacturing process of the
future! There are several very small pockets of companies that are using
these technologies to help save them time and money of prototyping and yes
maybe small lots of parts. This is a LONG WAY from production runs
particularly for the automotive, toy and consumer electronics industries
where they produce millions of parts per year! I too work for an aerospace
company and if we could fine tune the process a bit more we could
conceivably use the SLA machines for production pattern makers. But that is
only because we produce a small number of a given part per year. And this
would only be on parts that "fit" the tolerance and accuracy range of the
SLA machines. They would not come close to producing our bladed products
with anything that resembled accuracy, Sanders equipment is way to slow and
immature to be considered production! When the fundamental processes change
so that they will work and work en-mass producing the same parts the same
way then maybe we will come close to production.

Karl R. Denton
Lead Engineer
Williams International