Re: Injection Mold needed for Jewelry

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 16:37:22 EEST

Ricky: Your problem as I see it is that rope has "undercuts" when the A and
B mold halves are pulled apart. that is the reason that RTV molds can be
used; ie, they are flexible and allow the undercuts to pass. Simply redesign
your rope so that there are no undercuts when the part is ejected, and you
can have your rope injection molded.

At 12:34 AM 8/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello fabbers-
>
>I produce plastic injection molds for jewelry, cheifly by CNC and
pantograph, and die sinking/hand engraving methods. I have a customer who
requires an injection mold for a coin frame bezel pendant that has a twisted
rope edge on the outside as is commonly seen in jewelry catalogs...It will
hang on a common twisted rope chain, about 4mm, and have a coin about the
size of a silver dollar in it. A rubber or RTV mold, or tooling as you
engineers say, will not give the level of detail he wants. Anybody know of a
way to create a cavity of the profile of rope chain to accomplish this ( by
EDM or whatever),or possibly a metalized epoxy type mold, etc.? Anyone want
to give a bid on the job? I am making other molds for this customer, but not
able to do this one.