RE: direct all complaints to

From: C. Brock Rooney (brock@mich.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 23:20:29 EEST

At 10:52 AM 8/24/99 -0400, Justin Kidder wrote
>Obviously, someone is using the rp-ml address to sign up for these other
>lists. Sadly, it's not Amazon who is to blame, unless they can permanently
>keep the rp-ml address out of their own mailing lists, whenever someone
>tries to sign up with it. They take the address out, and this guy (spammer)
>just resubmits it. And if it's not Amazon, then it's a volleyball list, or
>some other list--who's to say where it will end? Amazon is not really the
>cause, here. Spamming Amazon ourselves is not the long-term answer. The
>volleyball guy is right...we gotta find this guy ourselves and get his ISP
>to shut him down, or take the list private.

Amazon.com has done a very poor job of handling this. They have NOT removed
rp-ml from their system, only changed the things rp-ml is to receive. And
sent us all, including the spammer, the info necessary to re-signup.

The other companies did much better. Here, for example, is the reply I
received from drugstore.com after I asked them to remove rp-ml:
>Dear Sir or Madam,
>Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
>This email is to inform you that the account has been removed. Our
customer >has been notified to
>update their account with the correct information.
>If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us by email
or >phone at any time.
>Best Regards,
>Cassandra
>drugstore.com Customer Care
>customercare@drugstore.com
>Available by phone:
>M-F 6am-10pm and Sat & Sun 9am-6pm PST
>1-800-drugstore or 1-800-378-4786
>fax 425-372-3806

Remember, You are not in these lists, rp-ml is. So when you contact them,
it does no good to ask them to stop sending You stuff. Ask them to stop sending
stuff to rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi.

Our spammer can be found from his original request to sign us up. These
companies should have this info. I think our list administrator should
contact these companies, explain that someone is fraudulently? using the
rp-ml address, and ask for the source IP address and any other info they
might have.

C. Brock Rooney, Pres., Brock Rooney & Associates Inc. (Brockware)
        915 Westwood Birmingham MIchigan 48009 USA
(248) 645-0236 fax/bbs (248) 645-9020 email brock@mich.com