Reverse Engineering

From: John Makuch (John_Makuch@caradon.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 11:25:54 EEST

Firstly a belated thanks to all who replied to my initial enquiry (below) with
factual as well as humourous info.

My next question is:

How effective is Reverse Engineering in a design process?

We are considering the purchase of a Co-Ordinate Measuring Machine which will,
largely, be at the disposal of New Product Develpoment. The use of Reverse
Engineering is the main reason for the purchase. Whilst we understand the
principles involved we are not wholly convinced as to the benefits this
technique will bring and are therefore unsure as to whether to invest in a CMM,
or not.

Is there anyone out there who could advise as to how the process benefits their
particular business, or offer good or bad experiences. In fact any information
would be appreciated.

Thanks, once again in anticipation

John.

---------------------- Forwarded by John Makuch/Caradon Mira Limited/CARADON on