Re: Job Posting

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 02:05:19 EEST

><< Shared Replicators is pioneering Fractional Ownership Programs for
>top-of-the-line industrial rapid prototyping equipment. Currently, the
>company is marketing shares in SLA7000 solid imaging systems. >>
>
>Is that the only way someone can afford one of those?
>Andy Scott
>Lockheed Martin Aero Sys

Andy,

    I'm sure your question is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is that
while there will be major companies, including probably yours, that will
belly up to the bar for the 7000 because of its enhanced performance
characteristics, the Shared Replicators business concept is an interesting
one that will allow smaller companies to take advantage of the same
capabilities without needing to cost-justify the whole $800,000. The idea is
similar to the advantages that one gets from using a fab shop (i.e. service
bureau) but with some additional advantages related to actual, partial
ownership versus merely contracting time on the machine. My guess is that it
would be similar to the difference between having a time-share deal in a
resort versus staying in a hotel. There will be pros and cons of each way of
doing business.

    These comments are based on my reading of Ron Jones' several postings on
this list in the last couple of months. I have not been privy to the Shared
Replicators business plan, nor am I affiliated in any way with the company.

    Ross Perot became the richest man in America (at one time) by starting a
company (EDS) that provided time sharing on mainframe computers. Perot's
business model was quite different from both Jones' and from a fab shop's.
Perot bought time on computers owned by large companies and resold that time
to smaller companies. It was a different business model, but its intended
impact was similar to that of both the fab shop and Shared Replicators:
reduce the cost of ownership of expensive new technology, thereby making it
accessible to a broader base of users. I'm looking forward to seeing how
this works out.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns

Marshall@Ennex.com
Ennex Corporation, Los Angeles, USA, (310) 824-8700
www.Ennex.com